The Australian Institute of Police Management was originally part of the Quarantine Station on North Head. It was built as Crews’ quarters, established in accordance with ships’ policies of keeping the crew well segregated from passengers, and in the lower levels of the ship. Based on this structure it was logical to build quarters along the waterfront beside Spring Cove and near Collins Beach. Supplies could be unloaded for the crew at the original dock in Spring Cove.
As the need for Crews’ quarters diminished, the buildings were utilised in other ways, such as housing for migrants with no other accommodation. The buildings were placed under the administration of the Commonwealth Department of Health in 1925. During World War II the site and buildings were used as a hospital by the Australian Department of Defence. Older local residents refer to, and know the site as the ‘Old Seamans’ Seamen’s Hospital’.
In 1957, the buildings were utilised by the Commonwealth Government for the purpose of establishing an Australian Police College for executive training of Commonwealth police officers. The Commonwealth Solicitor General, the late Sir Kenneth Bailey, C.B.E., officially opened the Australian Police College on 25 October 1960. Between 1960 and the late 1970’s, the College undertook a range of courses reflecting its joint Commonwealth in-house and national executive training roles.
The Australian Police College became the Australian Police Staff College by resolution of the Board of Control on 5 December, 1986 and was formally named by His Excellency the Right Honourable Sir Ninian Stephen, A.K., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., K.B.E., Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, at a ceremony held at the College on 18 June 1987. Following a review of the College during 1994, it was decided that the name of the College should be changed to reflect its new role and direction in Australian Policing. On 22 March 1995 the Australian Police Staff College was officially renamed the Australian Institute of Police Management by the Minister for Justice, The Honourable Duncan Kerr, M.P.
The Institute provides senior management, executive development, education and consultancy services at the national level for Australasian police and public safety agencies. The Institute comes under the administration of the Australian Federal Police and all AIPM staff are Australian Federal Police employees. Since 1960, more than 6000 police have attended Institute courses, including over 3000 commissioned officers. Apart from Australia and New Zealand, course members have come from the United States, the United Kingdom, the Pacific, South-East Asia, Europe and Africa.
On 14 April 1992, Senator Michael Tate, the Federal Minister for Justice, and Mr David Asimus, A.O., Chancellor of Charles Sturt University, signed an affiliation agreement that established the Australian Graduate School of Policing which shares the site with the Australian Institute of Police Management. The Institute has a number of its programs accredited under the Tertiary Education Qualification and Standards Agency (Consequential amendments and transitional provision) Act 2011.