Graduate Certificate in Applied Management
(Policing and Emergency Services)
The AIPM Graduate Certificate has been a watershed moment in the professional and personal lives of many public safety leaders for almost two decades. In a refreshed and realigned delivery, the AIPM Graduate Certificate continues to be a highly impactful development opportunity.
The Graduate Certificate is a personal and organisational commitment to education and leadership development. Distance education builds deep personal resilience. During this long journey participants are supported by the AIPM visiting fellows.
Organisational leadership is the key focus of the education with codified knowledge and personal experience underpinning the practice of academic research, argument and writing skills - all being highly regarded skills for effective leadership.
The Graduate Certificate in Applied Management (Policing and Emergency Services) consists of four units, typically completed over eleven months, and includes both distance and residential components.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Critically examine leadership including of self and others.
- Apply critical and ethical thinking to leadership and management within policing and emergency services.
- Critically analyse environmental trends that influence the policing and emergency services sector.
- Apply security design and innovation methodology to complex management problems.
- Design corporate and or service improvement strategies.
- Propose executive level decisions, particularly in the areas of environment, social and governance responsibility and accountability.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Unit 1 Leading Thinking
- Develop adaptive thinking techniques to lead effectively.
- Apply adaptive thinking techniques to authentic tasks typical of an era of environmental change and strategic issues in public safety and emergency services.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the application of a range of decision making, problem solving and ethics applications.
- Develop a critical understanding of the range of leadership skills and techniques required to lead within Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous, Novel environments.
Unit 2 Leadership & Management
- Critically evaluate different leadership styles and reflect on own leadership.
- Critically discuss the leadership toward achieving cultural change and organisational effectiveness.
- Review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise the historical and contemporary literature with regards to strategic planning theory.
- Critically analyse the public safety and emergency service environment within a management context.
- Critically analyse contemporary enterprise level approaches to service delivery and management.
Unit 3 Design & Innovation
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the techniques to analyse the environment.
- Review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise contemporary public safety and emergency service issues.
- Diagnose organisational challenges and examine the links between organisational design, implementation and accountability for quality service delivery.
- Harness multi-agency relationships and develop a design deliverable to enhance community outcomes.
Unit 4 Exponential Leadership
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the specific skills required to successfully manage corporate messaging.
- Review, analyse, consolidate and critique the various views within modern public safety and emergency services agencies and make recommendations for policy development, operational effectiveness and service delivery.
- Demonstrate a range of leadership skills and techniques required to lead within Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous, Novel environments.
Applications for credit
For information on applying for credit visit aipm.gov.au/credit
Key dates - 2023-24
Enrolment: 26 June 2023
Residential: Sunday 19 - Friday 31 May 2024
Enrolment: 31 July 2023
Residential: Sunday 16 - Friday 28 June 2024
ANZ Police $11,150
Provider name: Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police
Provider trading name: Australian Institute of Police Management
ABN: 17 864 931 143
Provider ID: PRV12014
For the purposes of the definition of provider category in section 5 of the TEQSA Act, the provider category the AIPM is registered as is : Institute of Higher Education